Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Yummy Carrot Cake

My boyfriend's favorite cake is carrot cake. Before I met him, I used to cringe at the thought of vegetables in my dessert. I decided to learn how to make a carrot cake just for him. My friend showed me this recipe and it was a big hit! Even with me! I've made this cake more than a few times now, and have even shared the recipe with my mom.

Here is the Yummy Carrot Cake that has turned a cringer into a believer.

This is for a cake the size of a 9 x 13 in. baking pan.

4 eggs
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups of refined white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups of grated carrots
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder

For the icing:
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup of chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. softened cream cheese
4 cups of confectioner's sugar (may be called Powdered Sugar)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and powder the pan.

1. Grate the carrots.

2. In a large bowl beat together the eggs, the vegetable oil, the white sugar, 2 tsp. of vanilla extract, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.

3. Add the carrots.

4. Add pecans.

5. Pour into prepared pan.

6. Bake. Time may vary, but usually 45 minutes is fine, or until you do the toothpick test. That is when you insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake and it comes out clean.

7. Let it cool. Don't flip the cake over until it's cool, otherwise it could crumble.

To make the icing:

1. Mix together the softened butter, softened cream cheese, confectioner's powder and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth. Add in the pecans.

2. Frost the cooled cake.

I usually wait a couple hours before frosting the cake. I like the icing cold, so I put it in the fridge.

Serve the delicious cake. This makes about 12 decent sized servings. More if you like smaller cubes.

2 comments:

  1. That's my bf's favorite cake too! Wow, I didn't know you were actually cooking "real" food! hahah :) I should probably try this.. for his birthday... in December... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, my first comment AND follower in the history of ever!

    Cool!!!

    I didn't know it was G's fave cake too. I guess a lot of guys like it cuz it's not too sweet. The icing is really ridiculously sweet and good though. Mmmm...

    Yeah, do it for his bday...or ur anniversary...or valentine's day...hint, hint...

    ReplyDelete